A quick glance across a map that America reveals a lot of names that room the exact same as in Europe – and also the same as every other.
You are watching: Which american city is named after a british prime minister?
There room at least 23 places called Paris, at least 35 called Lebanon, and at the very least 11 known as Dublin. In 2011, a biker indigenous Manchester, England, set out come visit all 32 American Manchesters, spanning Manchester-by-the-Sea in Massachusetts come a tiny city on the California coast.
Even few of America’s largest, most influential cities have actually surprising, and surprisingly humble european origins. Right here are 10 us cities you never ever knew acquired their names native Ireland and also the UK…
1. Baltimore: an anglicisation the the Irish phrase Baile an Tí Mhóir (literally "town the the large house"), this Maryland megacity was called for Cecilius Calvert, second Baron Baltimore, a peer in the Irish house of Lords. Over there is still a town called Baltimore ~ above the Co Cork coast, guarded by a rock monolith named the Baltimore Beacon.
2. Pittsburgh: ‘Pitt’ come coupiersonforcongress.comsy the Scottish general John Forbes, who named the city for British element Minister william Pitt in 1758. ‘Burgh’ is a Scottish, Old English, and originally german word for a defensible mound or hill, that appears in ar names across Europe and North America.
3. Portland: The biggest city in Oregon, and 25th largest in the US, Portland is actually two generations far from that English ancestor. The metropolis is called for the city of Portland in Maine, which is itself derived from the Portland peninsula the juts the end from the English ar of Dorset.
4. Menlo Park: ideal known because that ‘the magician of Menlo Park’ cutting board Edison, this neighborhood in brand-new Jersey was named after a city in California, which consequently took its name from the town of Menlo top top the outskirts of Galway.
5. Boston: The largest city in new England, Boston enjoys an abnormally direct connect to its european namesake, established by Puritan settlers from the Lincolnshire market town of the exact same name.
6. Charlotte: named for George III’s consort Queen Charlotte, America’s 15th most populous city is among several polities named after English queens. The entire state the Maryland is dubbed after Charles I’s mam Henrietta Maria, when Virginia and also West Virginia were called for Elizabeth I, then as currently nicknamed The Virgin Queen.
7. Charleston: The largest city in southern Carolina, it shouldn’t it is in a surprised that Charleston is called after the English king Charles I. The Latin tantamount of Charles is carolus, and also North and also South Carolina are named for the too.
8. New York: It’s apparent when you think around it, yet not anyone does. ~ a brief stint as the Dutch colony of new Amsterdam, brand-new York was renamed by the brother in 1664 ~ the city that York, then as currently a county funding in Yorkshire.
9. Newark: first named Pesayak Towne, and later new Milford, Newark was eventually referred to as after regional reverend Abraham Pierson's former eastern England parish the Newark-on-Trent. The seat of Essex County, in channel island-inspired new Jersey, Newark addresses have European surname on three separate lines.
See more: Can You Use 2 2016 Batteries For 2032 Battery Instead Of A Cr2016 If It Fits?
10. Richmond: The state capital of Virginia, Richmond was called by colonist william Byrd because that the English village of Richmond-upon-Thames, now an affluent suburb that London.