The aspects in the periodic table space not stable except the noble gases. Therefore, elements try to react with various other elements, to obtain the noble gas electron configuration to achieve stability. Likewise, sodium additionally has to acquire an electron to accomplish the electron construction of the noble gas, Neon. All nonmetals react through sodium creating sodium ions. Except some similarities, salt atom and also sodium ion has different physical and also chemical properties due to the change of one electron.
You are watching: Difference between sodium atom and sodium ion
Sodium, which symbolized together Na is a team 1 element with the atom number 11. Sodium has properties the a team 1 metal. The atomic load of that is 22.989. That is electron configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s1. Sodium is the first element in the third period, therefore the electrons have started to fill right into orbital 3. Sodium exists as a silvery color solid. However sodium reacts very rapidly v oxygen when it is exposed to air, for this reason makes one oxide coating in dull color. Sodium is soft enough to reduced by a knife, and also as shortly as it cuts, the silvery color disappears because of the oxide layer formation. Density of salt is reduced than the of water, so it floats in water while strongly reacting. Sodium offers a brilliant yellow flame once burns in the air. Boiling point of salt is 883 °C, and also the melting allude is 97.72 °C. Sodium has plenty of isotopes. Among them, Na-23 is most abundant with the loved one abundance of roughly 99%. Sodium is an essential element in living systems to preserve osmotic balance, because that nerve impulse transmission and also so on. Salt is also used to synthesize various other chemicals, necessary compounds, soap and for sodium vapor lamps.
When salt atom release its valence electron to one more atom, it develops a monovalent (+1) cation. It has an electronic configuration the 1s2 2s2 2p6, which is comparable to the digital configuration that neon. Removed of one electron native this is hard; therefore, the ionization power is an extremely high (4562 kJ·mol−1). Electronegativity of sodium is very low (according come the Pauling’s range it is about 0.93), permitting it to form cations by donating an electron to a higher electronegative atom (like halogens). Therefore, sodium regularly makes ionic compounds.
What is the difference in between Sodium Atom and also Sodium Ion?
• Sodium ion has obtained a stable electronic configuration by giving out one electron from the salt atom. Therefore, sodium ion has actually one electron much less than the sodium ion.
• In various other words, the valence shell/ last covering of sodium atom has only one electron. Yet in salt ion the last shell has actually 8 electrons.
• Sodium ion has a +1 fee whereas salt atom is neutral.
• Sodium atom is really reactive; therefore, won’t find free in nature. That exists together sodium ion in a compound.
• Because that the relax of one electron, the sodium ion radius differs from the atom radius.
• Sodium ion is attracted to negatively fee electrodes, yet sodium atom is not.
• The first ionization energy of sodium atom is very low contrasted to the ionization energy of salt +1 ion.