The fairly recent rediscovery of Hellenistic astrology has actually led come a renewal in the usage of the lot of Spirit by astrologers, but up until now there has actually been no typically agreed ~ above glyph or price to use in stimulate to represent this point in astrological charts or computer programs.
You are watching: Circle with a vertical line through it
I would prefer to rectify this situation by proposing a specific design because that the symbol that need to be offered to represent the most Spirit. I have included an image of the symbol the I’m proposing come the left of this paragraph.
The symbol is actually pretty simple. The is just a circle v a vertical line with it, v the line expanding just a bit exterior of the one of the circle. This is actually the sans-serif, capitalized version of the Greek letter ϕ / phi (usually pronounced as “fee”), and essentially what I’m proposing below is adopting this different of the Greek letter phi together the symbol because that the most Spirit.
In Defense that the suggest Glyph
This is actually something I’ve to be thinking about off and on for a few years, and at this allude I think that I have the right to make a pretty great case because that adopting this variation of the Greek letter phi as the glyph because that the the majority of Spirit. Here are some of the key points of my argument:
1) every little thing glyph is adopted, it need to be somewhat simple, and ideally it would certainly be nice if the was easy to draw by hand. Even if astrologers don’t generally calculate charts through hand anymore, I view the simplicity of the proposed glyph to it is in one the points that it has actually going in the favor.
3) The Greek letter phi is the an initial letter that the Greek native phos, which way “light”. As I pointed out a few years back in my paper on the seven Hermetic lots, whoever very first came up with the calculations because that the most Fortune and also the lot of Spirit appears to have wanted to combine the heart with the ide of light, and Fortune with the principle of darkness. This is probably due to various Platonic and Hermetic associations between the body and also darkness, versus the heart or mind and light. These concepts are installed in the calculations that each many is predicated on, and also so it would seem installation to encompass this subtle recommendation to that meaning in the glyph because that the many Spirit.
4) because phi is currently a symbol that is incorporated into Unicode and also most key-board layouts, it should be reasonably easy to usage it or incorporate it into astrology software programs. Even in instances when the glyph has not been incorporated into the astrology font that software programmers room using, they might simply usage the Unicode version of the Greek letter phi, and that would be a close sufficient approximation to the glyph.
5) contemporary astrologers such together Alan Oken regularly interpret the style of the astrological glyphs as having particular symbolic definition based top top the forms they are composed of. Because some that the astrological glyphs were introduced from the alchemical legacy in the center Ages, there is probably something to be claimed for this approach. From a symbolic perspective ns would provide this translate of the glyph that I’m proposing: The circle in the middle represents the spirit, or the soul. The upright line v the center represents upwards or downwards movement, which can be take away to describe the ascent and descent that the soul through the planetary spheres, i m sorry a typical motif in Hellenistic and also Roman philosophical and spiritual traditions.
6) i realized after I started thinking around adopting this symbol for the lot of Spirit the it currently had a bit of background behind it, due to the fact that it was currently used as a placeholder in some of the early Project possession translations to represent the many Spirit. That was supplied in Schmidt and also Hand’s translate in of book 2, component 1 the Valens’ Anthology in 1994, back they used the serif variation of the letter phi, and they didn’t define their reasons for utilizing this letter. I asked Hand around this recently and also he stated that he couldn’t recall even if it is there to be a particular reason why they used that symbol because that spirit, return he stated that he has continued to usage it because then. As I researched this an ext I remembered the another pair of astrologers called Antoine Garth and Claire-France Perez, who have actually done some occupational on Valens’ lots, followed Schmidt and Hand in making use of phi as the symbol for the most Spirit. So, evidently over there is already a little of a heritage behind this symbol end the previous 20 years, return the distinction here is the I’m trying to it is in a bit more deliberate in making a specific case because that why ns think the the letter phi should be used, and I’m outlining the particular parameters of the symbol for others come adopt.
7) Evidently ϕ is often used to stand for the gold ratio in mathematical texts, as well as a variety of other things. Offered Schmidt’s lift in mathematics, i wondered if this wasn’t a contributing element in their using the letter for spirit. I have tendency to think the they were probably just using it together a placeholder at that allude though, since their at an early stage translations were supposed to it is in preliminary, and additionally since phi is often used in philosophical texts to stand for some share act.
8) There room two or three various other potential versions of the the majority of Spirit glyph that have shown up in isolated places, although no one of this have ever been extensively adopted, and also I would argue that the prize I’m proposing is an ext appropriate for the factors outlined above. Among the icons is a circle v two wavy lines listed below it, which remained in a fifth century horoscope the is disputed in an post by Deborah Houlding. Elsewhere, rob Hand stated to me that the 16th century astrologer Johannes Schoener has a glyph for the many Spirit in his message that “looks like the component of Fortune however with the outer circle partly lacking on the right-hand side.” Hand notes that he hasn’t watched this price used all over else. Finally, much more recently a collection of glyphs for all seven Hermetic too many was introduced by Curtis Manwaring as part of his Delphic Oracle software application program, and also each lot has actually the glyph for each planet in the middle, v a circle and a cross in the middle in the background. Manwaring’s glyph because that the the majority of Spirit then is the symbol because that the sun with a circle and also a cross in the background. I actually prefer this set of glyphs to a details extent, and also it is true the the Hellenistic astrologers seem come have connected each the the Hermetic lots through each the the 7 planets. Ns think the the phi glyph that I’m proposing would certainly be a far better alternative for spirit though due to the fact that it is an ext in keeping with the an ext widely offered glyph because that the the majority of Fortune that most astrologers usage today, which was portrayed above. Additionally, the phi glyph areas the emphasis of the lot much less on the Sun and also instead more on the principle of light in general, which ns think is an ext in keeping with the rationale underlying the most Spirit, if one reverses the calculation for day and night charts.
See more: Why Did Fdr Say We Have Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself Winston Churchill
There are more than likely some extr arguments that could be made, yet those room really the core ones that I want to make for the objective of this post. Ns look front to listening what human being think.