Are you looking for much more information on one piersonforcongress.com condition currently affecting friend or a love one? Browse through our complete list that ophthalmological conditions, consisting of their symptoms and also effects, and links come their connected services being readily available at the USC Roski piersonforcongress.com Institute. To learn more about the ophthalmology treatments detailed by our skilled team, call us digital or speak to us this day at 323-442-6335.
You are watching: The term for an abnormal condition of the eye caused by a fungus is:
Cornea and also External DiseasesBlepharitis
– inflammation, redness, itching of the piersonforcongress.com and piersonforcongress.comlids.Bullous Keratopathy
– generally occurs piersonforcongress.com surgery, trauma, or glaucoma leading to swelling the the cornea as a result of damages to the endothelial layer of the cornea. Damages to this layer causes the formation of little vesicles or bullae bring about swelling, irritation and also pain.Chalazia/Styes
– Both chalazia and also styes are characterized by a lump uncovered in or along the piersonforcongress.comlid. Commonly styes are red, raised lumps found on the sheet of the lid that are led to by infected piersonforcongress.comlash follicles. A chalazion is a blocked oil-producing glands and thus are not led to by bacterial infection and are not cancerous.Conjunctivitis (Pink piersonforcongress.com)
– the conjunctiva is a very thin layer of the piersonforcongress.com the lines the sclera or the white part of the piersonforcongress.com. It help to act together an immune barrier and also helps lubricate the piersonforcongress.com. Bacterial, viral and also allergic conjunctivitis can occur, developing swelling the the blood vessels included within the conjunctiva, leading to swelling and also redness which many refer to as “pink piersonforcongress.com”.Corneal Dystrophies
– a group of rare hereditary disorders of the cornea, which happen as a result of an build-up of international material such together cholesterol or lipids, which may be discovered in any type of of the five layers the the cornea.Fuchs Endothelial Dystrophy
– a corneal dystrophy that occurs posterior in the innermost part of the cornea; the endothelium and the Descemet membrane. It is the most typical posterior corneal disorder resulting in loss that endothelial cells and thickening the the corneal wall, leading to corneal scarring and possible blindness. It is most common in women and in civilization who room 50-60 years of age.Corneal Scarring
– damages to the cornea through injury, abrasions, burns or miscellaneous disorders. The scarring can reason impaired vision and also may even lead to blindness.Dry piersonforcongress.com Syndrome
– both corneal and conjunctival, a problem that reasons diminished tear production, which results in irritation, burning, foreign body sensation and also potential visual special needs from erosion of the conjunctival or corneal epithelium. Tears aid lubricate or moisten the surface ar of the piersonforcongress.com maintaining it smooth and clear.Herpes Keratitis
– a viral epidemic of the piersonforcongress.com brought about by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). Recurrent epidemic can cause permanent scar to the cornea.Keratoconus
– a problem where the cornea, generally a dome-like round framework that helps emphasis light together it start the piersonforcongress.com, i do not care bulged and deformed into a an ext conical shape.Pterygium
– likewise known together surfer’s piersonforcongress.com, is abnormal benign corneal development that occurs because of exposure come UV light and wind. The is predominant in people who work outdoors such together fisherman, farmers and people that live close to the equator.Ocular Rosacea
– occurs in people who experience from rosacea and also is characterized as inflammation or redness of the piersonforcongress.com and also piersonforcongress.comlids (blepharitis) as well as dry piersonforcongress.com.
Click here to learn much more about Cornea and also External Diseases.
CataractCataracts and also Intraocular Lenses
– In cataract results when the organic lens becomes cloudy and also impedes light from beginning the piersonforcongress.com. The lens is a transparent structure discovered in the piersonforcongress.com that helps refract irradiate upon the retina and changes form to permit for focus of objects at miscellaneous distances. A cataract may result if this lens i do not care cloudy, compromising the figure of spicy images and thus leading to impaired or diminished vision. Cataracts might be treated with surgical removed of the lens and replacement v a brand-new plastic lens (IOL) implant. Cataracts might be congenital or an outcome from trauma, disease, or age.
Click here to learn much more about Cataract Surgery.
is a course of diseases that causes high piersonforcongress.com pressure (intraocular pressure), damaging the optic nerve and also retinal nerve fibers. The optic nerve is the nerve the connects the piersonforcongress.com to the brain, and is responsible because that transmitting pictures to the brain. There are two main types of glaucoma: primary open-angle glaucoma (POAG) and also angle-closure glaucoma. Glaucoma-caused vision loss begins with the loss of peripheral vision.Angle Closure Glaucoma (Acute or small Angle Glaucoma)
– identified by key of piersonforcongress.com pressure due to closure of the drainage angle of the piersonforcongress.com. The iris can move forward and block the outflow of fluid (aqueous humor) indigenous the piersonforcongress.com, bring about rapid key of piersonforcongress.com pressure. Symptoms incorporate a deep, boring piersonforcongress.com pain, nausea, clouding and haloed vision. Urgent assessment and management by an ophthalmologist is required.Open-Angle Glaucoma
– the most common type of glaucoma, whereby a characteristic pattern of damage occurs to the optic nerve, resulting in equivalent visual field loss. A number of risk components exist, such together elevated intraocular pressure, nearsightedness, thinner corneas, blood press issues, and also atherosclerosis. Treatment usually starts with piersonforcongress.com drops, yet can encompass laser and also surgical procedures.Congenital and also Childhood Glaucoma
– at an early stage onset glaucoma that often leads to increase in piersonforcongress.com dimension (“buphthalmos”), tearing, reduced vision, and also light sensitivity. A strong genetic ingredient exists.Pseudoexfoliation Glaucoma (Pseudoexfoliation Syndrome)
– a problem where abnormal product is deposited on the lens capsule, drainage angle structures and blood vessels. This have the right to lead to weakening that the ocular tissues making cataract surgery potentially more challenging and can lead come a specific kind of glaucoma.Glaucoma an additional to piersonforcongress.com Trauma
– damages to the drainage structures deserve to lead come an increased risk of arising glaucoma. Constant monitoring is required to ensure the optic nerve damages can be prevented as much as possible.Neovascular Glaucoma
– patient with far-reaching growth of abnormal vessels within the piersonforcongress.com due to damage from diabetes or retinal vein occlusions have the right to experience elevation of piersonforcongress.com push if the abnormal blood vessels prolong to the drainage angle and cause scarring or bleeding.Pigment Dispersion Glaucoma
– a form of glaucoma linked with liberation that pigment native the iris right into the drainage angle, resulting in rapid rises in piersonforcongress.com pressure. Young, near-sighted males are the most common group to it is in affected.Uveitic Glaucoma
– glaucoma result from intraocular inflammation. Treatment contains targeting the underlying reason of the inflammation and management of the elevated piersonforcongress.com pressureNormal anxiety Glaucoma
– a type of glaucoma whereby the piersonforcongress.com push is “normal” loved one to the selection seen in the populace at large. Patients present with optic nerve damage and visual field loss characteristics of glaucoma. Further lowering the the piersonforcongress.com pressure has been presented to be beneficial.
Click here to learn much more about Glaucoma.
Neuro-Ophthalmology and Adult StrabismusDouble Vision
– misalignment of the piersonforcongress.coms have the right to lead come the perception of see two copies of the same object. Double images deserve to be vertically, horizontally, or obliquely separated and also can be due to damages to the mind or among the nerves that gives the piersonforcongress.com (extraocular) muscles.Optic Neuropathy
– damages to one or both optic nerves result in decreased vision or ns of visual field. The most typical entities encompass glaucoma, optic neuritis, ischemic optic neuropathy, and also compressive (tumor or aneurysm) optic neuropathy.Papilledema
– ede of the optic nerves because of raised intracranial pressure.Visual ar Defects
– lose of visual ar in one or both piersonforcongress.coms due to damages along the intuitive pathways. The nature that this defect can aid localize where along the visual pathway (from piersonforcongress.com to brain) the damages has occurred.Thyroid piersonforcongress.com Disease
– causes piersonforcongress.com and also orbital alters such together piersonforcongress.comlid retraction (“stare”), double vision from scarring of the piersonforcongress.com muscles, protrusion (proptosis) the the piersonforcongress.coms, and also loss the vision for compression of the optic nerve(s) in patients with tombs Disease. Occasionally, other creates of thyroid dysfunction can additionally be associated.Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
– raised intracranial pressure in the absence of a mind tumor, meningitis, or hydrocephalus. Most patients room young, overweight women who can existing with indicators of key of intracranial pressure including transient blurring that vision, headache, and whooshing (tinnitus) sounds in their ears. Patients regularly have papilledema and also can experience far-reaching vision loss if not treated.Stroke
– loss of circulation come any component of the brain. Visual deficits are usual given that a huge component that the mind is committed to visual function.Temporal Arteritis
– a problem that generally affects the elderly and involving inflammation that the arteries the the head, neck, mind and piersonforcongress.coms. Patients have the right to experience far-reaching and irreversible vision loss. Presenting symptoms can include jaw ache while chewing, headache, scalp tenderness, lose of appetite, loss of weight and low class fevers. Diagnosis is do by fist to clinical symptoms, blood tests and also biopsy of the temporal artery(ies).Hemifacial Spasm
– involuntary contraction of the facial muscles frequently on one side of the confront due to wake up of the saturday (facial) cranial nerve. The condition can rarely be due to a mass in the mind but generally results indigenous compression the the nerve by a neighboring blood vessel. The most typical treatment is serial Botox injections.Blepharospasm
– involuntary spasm that the muscles of the piersonforcongress.comlids, brows and also occasionally the face. Usually both sides of the face are influenced and commonly linked with ocular surface disorders such together dry piersonforcongress.coms. Treatments include lubrication of the piersonforcongress.coms and Botox injections.
Click below to learn much more about Neuro-Ophthalmology and Adult Strabismus.
Ocular OncologyLid Tumors
– Abnormal nodules or lesions neighboring or on the piersonforcongress.comlid which may be benign or malignant.Conjunctival Tumors
– Abnormal nodules or lesions of the clean membrane end the white of the piersonforcongress.com that may be benign or malignant.Ocular surface Squamous Neoplasia
– A malignant conjunctival tumor the may grow onto the cornea and cause piersonforcongress.com pain, redness, irritation, or blurry.Anterior Segment and also Iris Tumors
– Abnormal growths involving the front part of the piersonforcongress.com consisting of the cornea (most anterior clear component of the piersonforcongress.com), iris (colored component of the piersonforcongress.com), or lens in ~ the piersonforcongress.com.Lymphoma
– A malignant tumor derived from the lymphatic system that might involve the inside of the piersonforcongress.com or the neighboring tissue. May present as one piersonforcongress.com mass or be associated with systemic lymphoma.Uveal Lesions
– Lesions the the colored components of the piersonforcongress.com consisting of the iris, ciliary body, or choroid in the posterior section of the piersonforcongress.comMelanomaCancers acquired from pigmented cells including those that the skin or uvea that the piersonforcongress.com. Though originating from pigmented cells, melanomas may also be nonpigmented and require evaluation and treatment.Metastatic LesionsLesions that spread from cancers in other parts the the body. Metastatic lesions spread out through blood vessels and also can be uncovered in the choroid or posterior portion of the piersonforcongress.com.Vascular LesionsMalformations of the arteries or veins that have the right to be present from bear or may construct over time in adults. Have the right to involve the tissue bordering the piersonforcongress.com or in ~ the piersonforcongress.com.OrbitalLesions entailing the tissue neighboring the piersonforcongress.com or including the piersonforcongress.com socket that might benign or malignant. Might displace the position or reason bulging the the piersonforcongress.com.Optic Nerve LesionsLesions that the optic nerve such as glioma or meningiomas that may involve the nerve at any allude from when it exits the posterior portion of the piersonforcongress.com come the relationships to the brain.Basal cell Carcinoma – A cancer the the skin that may appear on the piersonforcongress.comlids or face as a shiny, pearly nodule in sunlight exposed areas. Might be diagnosed by acquisition a skin biopsy and also treated v surgical excision, chemotherapy, radiation, or other therapies.Squamous cell Carcinoma – A skin cancer derived from the external layer the the skin, often discovered in sunlight exposed areas, and also appear as scaly, red patches. Squamous cabinet carcinoma may come to be aggressive if not treated.Sebaceous cabinet Carcinoma the the Lid – Cancers obtained from the glands in ~ the piersonforcongress.comlids the may confused with recurrent chalazion or stye and also often linked with piersonforcongress.comlash loss.Conjunctival Melanoma – A cancer that pigmented cells on the clear organization overlying the white that the piersonforcongress.com or within the piersonforcongress.comlid. May spread to various other parts the the human body if left undiagnosed and also untreated.
Click here to learn much more about Ocular Oncology.
Laser Vision CorrectionAnisometropiaAstigmatismHyperopia (Farsightedness)KeratoconusMyopia (Nearsightedness)Presbyopia
Click here to learn much more about Laser Vision Correction.
Uveitis and also Ocular InflammationChorioretinitisHerpetic UveitisHLA-B27 IridocyclitisOcular TuberculosisToxoplasmosisVogt Koyanagi Harada’s Disease
Click here to learn an ext about Uveitis and also Ocular Inflammation.
Vitreoretinal Surgery and also Retinal DiseaseRetinal Vein Occulusion
– occurs as soon as there is blockage of little veins transferring blood far from the retina. The retina is nerve tissue discovered in the earlier of the piersonforcongress.com, responsible for recording images through light sensing cells and converting this nerve signals into electrical signals come be sent to the brain. Those at high risk of developing retinal vein occlusions are people suffering native atherosclerosis (hardening that the arteries), diabetes, high blood pressure or various other piersonforcongress.com problems such as glaucoma or macular edema.Central Serous Chorioretinopathy
– may likewise be referred to as serous choroidopath, i m sorry is a an illness that is regularly temporary and also usually in one piersonforcongress.com. Vision may come to be distorted together a an outcome of fluid build up in the main part of the retina, referred to as the macula. Special, visual disability results from leakage the blood vessels of retinal tissue layers called the choroid, bring about blister favor formations or elevated locations of the macula.Diabetic Retinopathy
– retinopathy is characterized as damage to the retina, i beg your pardon is the earlier of the piersonforcongress.com, i m sorry helps process images. Diabetic retinopathy, a variety of alters that take place within the retina as a an outcome of complications from diabetes.Diabetic Macular Edema
– a condition where leakage from damaged blood ship in the main part the the retina outcomes in vision lose that have the right to impair your ability to read, recognize faces, or even drive.Macular Hole
– a defect in the central retina that can lead to lessened vision and distortion. Surgery can be readily available for patient experiencing significant decrease in vision.Macular wrinkle (Epiretinal Membrane or Cellophane Retinopathy)
– a condition where a membrane can flourish over the main retina frequently in an answer to inflammation, diabetic retinopathy, or previous surgery. This have the right to lead to distortion the the retinal surface developing decrease in vision or distortion. Symptomatic instances can be improved significantly with surgery.Posterior Vitreous offhanded (Flashes and also Floaters)
– a problem where the vitreous gel and the retinal interface deserve to detach spontaneously or adhering to trauma, indigenous the retinal interface. This frequently occurs more commonly in elderly and near-sighted individuals. That may additionally occur after ~ cataract surgery. Symptoms usually incorporate flashes that light and also floaters, warranting urgent clinical assessment come evaluate for the opportunity of a retinal tear.Retinal Tears
– a tear the occurs in the retina, which deserve to lead to a retinal detachment. It can current with new flashes and also floaters. Tears deserve to usually it is in treated with laser or cryotherapy (cold probe) in the office. Successful and also early treatment have the right to prevent retinal detachment and also preserve vision.Retinal Detachment
– a separation that the retina indigenous the underlying pigment epithelium which can disrupt visual cell structure and thus markedly disturbs vision. Practically always caused by a retinal tear; often requires immediate surgical repair.Retinitis Pigmentosa
– a team of inherited retinal degenerative diseases defined by loss of photoreceptors (rods and cones) and progressive scar of the retina. Numerous forms exist, v several basic genetic mutations having actually been identified thus far. Gene therapy may eventually be possible. Implantation that the Argus II retinal prosthesis have the right to restore some sight to those totally blind native this disease.Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
– is a class of problems which affects the main vision caused by the destruction of the macula (the main part the the retina). The decline in central vision, uncovered most typically in those over the period of 60, can an outcome in the inability to read, recognize faces, or even drive.Dry period Related Macular Degeneration (Dry AMD)
– a problem that is the result of the deterioration to the central part of the retina well-known as the macula which affects main vision.Wet AMD
– wet (vascular) AMD outcomes from the development of abnormal blood vessels under the retina, which may leak fluid and blood. The neovascularization that occurs can cause permanent damages to retinal cells (light sensing cells) offering rise to blind spots in the main part of the vision.
See more: Craig Horner And Bridget Regan Married, Craig Horner Biography
Click here to learn an ext about Vitreoretinal Surgery and also Retinal Disease.